Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bridesmaids

Say what you will about SNL these days; particularly how the only consistent funny sketches are now Update and the SNL Digital Short [yeah, I went there.] but some pretty funny folks have come from that show. Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph are two such people, and they absolutely shine in the hilarious and surprisingly heart-warming 'Bridesmaids.'
I'm going to be honest, all I knew about this movie going into it is that I was going to laugh, what I wasn't quite prepared for was how much and how hard. The story centers around Annie [Wiig], who's already not-so-great life quickly down spirals after being chosen to be the maid of honour for her best friend, Lillian [Rudolph]. While trying to pick of the pieces of her own life she tries to plan the perfect fitting, bachelorette and shower for her long time friend, while constantly being outdone by the oh-so-glamourous Helen [Rose Byrne]. Needless to say things go from terrible to ridiculously awful in hilarious fashion. 
The easy banter between Wiig and Rudolph is both funny and natural, but even better is the one-upsmanship between Wiig and Byrne. I knew that Kristen Wiig, with her sketch comedy background, could pull this off, what I wasn't quite prepared for was Australian Rose Byrne to be quite so funny. She's never really done comedy, the film she did before this was 'Insidious', not really a comedy goldmine...Nonetheless, she held her own with the SNL alums. What she, nor the rest of the cast, could do was not have their scene stolen by Melissa McCarthy. McCarthy plays Megan, the sister of the groom, who is fully confident of her awesomeness, even if everyone else isn't quite so sure. She's just uproariously hilarious every time she opens her mouth, and in some instances just when she appears on screen. 
I have to say, as a single lady in my late 20s, this movie struck a chord. Like Annie, a lot of my friends are starting to get married, and while I'm super happy for them, it sure does start to remind you of all the ways your life just isn't quite working out the way you thought it would. However, Annie has one up on me. She gets to be Jon Hamm's booty call. Sure, he's a jackass in the flick, but people, this is Don Draper, would you kick him out of bed? No, I didn't think so...although he does kick Annie out of his; he really is awful in this movie. But that's okay, 'cause Annie gets to be wooed by the adorable State Police officer Rhodes. Chris O'Dowd, from 'The I.T. Crowd' [a show I would highly recommend] certainly makes an impression as the Irish cop [I'm not sure, they never really explain how that one happened] who steals Annie's heart. He's best known for his roles in England, but after this I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot more of Chris O'Dowd on this side of the pond and I'm a-okay with that!
I was lucky enough to see my matinee of 'Bridesmaids' with my good friend Nicole [that's right readers, the same Nicole who came with me to '127 Hours']. We just laughed and laughed and laughed. So I would highly recommend grabbing a good friend and going to see 'Bridesmaids'. Unless you don't like to laugh, who doesn't like to laugh?!? NO ONE, that's who. Seriously, people, go see 'Bridesmaids.'

2 comments: