Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Water for Elephants

Monday I went to see 'Water for Elephants' and I have to admit, I wasn't so sure about seeing this movie. First of all I've read the book of the same name that it's based on, and it's fantastic. And while I'm a believer that book adaptations don't have to be 100% faithful as long as they keep the spirit intact[see: 'Harry Potter' and 'Lord of the Rings'] I was concerned that it was going to turn into a 'look we got Robert Pattinson in our movie, let's forget the plot' kind of thing. Luckily, that wasn't the case. Also, my usually reliable sources, Rotten Tomatoes and EW, gave it so-so reviews, but after seeing those same sources give my new nemesis 'Fast Five' generally favourable reviews, I figured I was going to stop trusting those clowns and see it for myself.
To be quite honest I'm pretty happy that I did see it, if only to get proof that Robert Pattinson can actually smile and not look like wood, especially when delivering dialogue that isn't aimed at 12 year old girls. And he had some stiff competition in this movie, his co-stars are two Oscar winners and an elephant!
'Water for Elephants' is the story of Jacob Jankowski [Pattinson] a promising young veterinary student who quite literally runs away to join the circus when his parents both die suddenly and leave him broke. But the circus isn't all fun and games, especially in the 1930s. It's a lot of hierarchy and back breaking hard-work, especially when the ring-leader of said circus is a bi-polar masochist, that would be Christoph Waltz. And while his veterinary skill and willingness to work win August's [Waltz] affections, Jacob's friendship and growing crush on his wife, Marlena [Reese Witherspoon], welllll, don't.
As I mentioned before, the acting in the film was very good, and while I didn't 100% buy the chemistry between Pattinson and Witherspoon, it was close; although his chemistry with Rosie the elephant was totally there. [She must be team Edward, sorry, I couldn't help myself] Pattinson's American accent is MUCH better that in those other movies, and it seemed as if he relished a role where he didn't have to act like an over-protective, sparkly stalker. He's much more natural, and I have to admit I feel pretty bad that he has to follow all this progress with two more 'Twilight' movies. Waltz was in fine form yet again as the slightly off-kilter antagonist, and I'm starting to think he may be pigeon-holed. And don't get me wrong, it's a frighteningly perfect hole, it makes me start to wonder if he can play any other character...anyone else? No, just me, alright then. Witherspoon was lovely as ever, and had the right mix of love and desperation as a woman who both loves and fears her husband.
I will admit that the pace of this movie was a bit slow. However, it may just seem that way because we're so accustomed to the ridiculous pace of everything in our lives nowadays, with instant news and micro-blogging. This movie was set in a slower era and adjusted its pace to its subject.
Overall I will admit that this movie isn't for everyone, with the pace and the casting, it certainly wouldn't appeal to everyone. For example, the crowd of about 15 people I saw it with were all women except for the two boyfriends, who I assume were dragged to it against their wills and the one creepy single guy that was sitting in front of me. However, it was very well done and a fairly true adaptation of the book. If you're one of those people who can't stand Robert Pattinson [for whatever reason, no judgement here] then I would still highly recommend the book, actually I would recommend the book either way.
One last thing, can you feel it? The warming temperatures, the desire to sit in an air conditioned theatre for two hours just to get out of the heat[well, not quite yet], the need to be entertained!?! That's right!! The Summer Movie Season is finally upon us! I already know what I'll be seeing for the next 4 weeks, how about you? Starting with an extra 'M' being added to Monday's review for 'Marvel Matinee Monday' with 'Thor'! The first of three I'm excited to do this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment