Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Snow White VS Snow White

So, as you have probably noticed, Hollywood is re-embracing the fairytale. Not that fairytales have ever really fallen out of popularity, they're retold and repurposed often, actually this reminds me...*runs away from the computer*
Aaaand I'm back! I just had to go put on my all-time favourite fairytale retelling, The 10th Kingdom, for a little background entertainment while I write. In 2000 Hallmark released this amazing miniseries that combined all the classic fairytales in an epic journey that reminded me how much I really loved all them. That being said, it probably won't surprise you that I have most definitely been following ABC's Once Upon a Time although Grimm just hasn't captured my attention. And it isn't just TV that's getting into that old fairytale feeling, they're making a come back on the big screen too! YAY! With Snow White and the Huntsman and Mirror, Mirror coming to a theatre near you this summer! Wait, hold on a second...I think...let's watch the trailers.


So, it would seem, for some reason, with alllll the options out there two movies about Snow White are going to be coming out in the same summer. I mean, sure, she's the fairest of them all, and all that jazz, and I know Hollywood generally has a hard time being original, but seriously? Don't these people talk to each other? Maybe they figured we all love fairytales so much that we wouldn't notice they were making movies with the same characters that will surely come out within weeks of each other. Sadly, what I'm sure what it will come down to is who makes the most money, as it always does in Tinseltown.
As previously mentioned, I do love fairytales, so it's more than likely that I will see both these movies. So let's see what the trailers are telling me...
Snow White and the Huntsman: Charlize "The Evil Queen" Theron rules a kingdom with her beauty ['beauty is my power'] and when her cool liquid mirror tells her there's another that might eventually rival her beauty and she should 'consume her heart' to 'live forever'. Just so happens that this 'other' is Kristen Stewart...who kind of drives me crazy, but that's only because of how godawful the character of Bella Swan is [Yes, I've watched the Twilight "Saga", yes, I know I should know better]. So, I suppose I should give her the chance to redeem herself, I'm openminded that way. Plus we have the handsome Chris Hemsworth with what sounds like a Scottish accent, so that might've sold me right there. And there look to be some good ol' fashioned battles happening in there...Let's call this movie a fairytale epic, 'cause that seems to be what it thinks it is.
Mirror Mirror: Let's be honest folks, the movie looks WAY more fun than the last one! I love a little humour from my Evil Queens, especially when they are Julia Roberts! Plus we've got Nathan Lane and Armie Hammer in there. Dancing, exquisite costumes, looks like good times to me! Plus Lily Collins seems much more Snow White-y to me than Stewart. But what really seals this movie [that I will dub a fairytale adventure, which is MUCH different from a fairytale epic] as the winner for me, even though you don't see him, is Sean Bean as the King. What can I say I love me some Eddard Stark! [Winter is Coming]
What do you think? Going to see either of these fairytale flicks when they hit theatres this summer?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED the 10th Kingdom !! (and Ever After)
    I will likely see Mirror Mirror before SW&tH, just because NATHAN LANE !! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to see both of these movies! So far Snow White and the Huntsman is looking a lot better to me, but both look good. Mirror, Mirror looks like more of a fun comedy, while SWatH looks like it'll be more of an action flick. Both look good in their own ways, but I definitely am more interested on one than the other.

    Also, yay new blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 - Can you lend me 10th Kingdom. I haven't seen it in years. Or you could come over for a 10th Kingdom/puppy cuddling marathon.

    2 - Seriously, Sean Bean comes up and your first thought is Eddard Stark? What about Sharpe? What about Boromir? But most especially Sharpe! (On another not-quite fairy tale note, did you see that he's slated to play Smee in a remake of Peter Pan, odd casting choice that, must be a very different Smee than usual).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, oh Reen. 1) Yes! That sounds like a great deal to me! And 2) What can I say I've been watching a LOT of Game of Thrones lately, so Ned's the first thing that comes to mind, if it had been anyother time though, it would have been Boromir ;)

    ReplyDelete