Wednesday, March 16, 2011

February Trailer Round Up

Yes, I'm aware that we are sixteen days into the month of March, so the round up of the February trailers is super overdue, but here they are now!!
Now, technically I saw '127 Hours' in January. But its' trailers didn't get included in the last round up and since February is a short month we're going to go ahead and tack them on to this post. First we have Disney's new Earth Day, feel good documentary 'African Cats.' I didn't go and see their other ones, but I kinda love big cats, so there is a possibilty I might see this one...but probably at home. It feels like a renter. Then came the first of the 'Paul' trailers I saw this month. I honestly CAN NOT WAIT for this movie to come out already. I know I mentioned it before, but I love Simon Pegg and NIck Frost, so be prepared when that review comes, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love the movie even if it's awful, which I sincerely doubt it will be. Then we had a trailer for a festival-y movie that I've never heard of 'Today's Special'. And I'm sure any other Canadian that grew up in the 80s will immediately think of that show with the mannequin in the department store, but sadly this is not a big screen adaptation of that one. This is instead the story of an Indian man who is a sous-chef in a fancy restaurant who has to take over the [failing] family restaurant when his dad gets sick. It looks like one of those sweet rediscover-your-roots kind of movies...thaaaat I'll probably rent. Last and most certainly least was 'Sanctum.' I don't think I can over emphasize enough how much I am done with James Cameron. It's not that I think he makes bad movies, although this one looks pretty stinky, it's just that I can't stand him. And unlike Quentin Tarantino and the Coen Brothers, who's movies I never miss in theatres, Cameron's starting to make me want to miss all his movies so that he might not ever talk in public again. Also, he's a big 3D pusher, and I think we all know how I feel about 3D...no? It's the worst.

Next up was 'The Illusionist'. Despite being a total not for kids animated movie the trailers for this were both for animated kids flicks, 'Gnomeo and Juliet' and 'Rango'. Obviously, I've already seen 'Rango'. Thought it was great, think you should see it too. I think 'Gnomeo and Juliet' looks adorable, but I think it's yet another renter from this round of trailers.

If you remember, my mum accompanied me to 'Barney's Version' The first trailer was a second 'African Cats' for me, but it was the first one for her. But, she adamantly told me she wouldn't see it, and I quote, "because one of them will die." This is her reasoning for not seeing a LOT of movies, but she may be right. Then came 'The Butcher, The Chef and the Swordsman' which is this cool looking Chinese action flick. The movie's foreign, filled with stylized violence and humour. Check, check and check! If it comes to a theatre here in VanCity, I will most definitely go to see it. The last trailer was a Sundance flick, the Jodie Foster directed 'The Beaver'. It stars Mel Gibson, and I think we all know what kind of 2010 that guy had...that being said, this movie about a man who finds a stuffed beaver and starts to use it to relate to his world looks interesting and something that I might like...despite the leading man being bonkers in real life as well.

My last flick of February, and this trailer round-up was 'Cedar Rapids'. Four trailers and four yes' from this girl! First up was 'Paul'...again. I know, you would think that after seeing the trailer so many times my excitement would diminish, but NO! I still want to see it just as much as the first time I saw it! Next was the trailer for SNL's Kristen Wiig's first leading lady role in 'Bridesmaids'. This lady is hilarious. And this movie looks like it probably will be as well. Look for scene stealer, Melissa McCarthy, also hilarious.

Then came the new X-Men flick, 'X-Men: First Class'. I have to share, I'm a GIANT comic's nerd, and I love the X-Men. And while the last couple of X-Men movies were pretty disappointing, I think this one looks like it has promise...and James MacAvoy[!!!] But I'll reserve judgement until I see it. Until then, enjoy the pretty awesome trailer.

The last trailer for February was for 'Water for Elephants'. Let me say first and foremost, READ THIS BOOK! It's amazing and beautiful. That being said, this looks like a pretty good movie in and of itself. Christoph Waltz and Reese Witherspoon are both amazing actors and I'm still on the fence about 'Twilight' pretty boy Robert Pattinson. He's not fantastic, but that could be because he's in a franchise that's written to appease millions of rabid fans [I mean the dialogue's a tad wooden] Other than 'Harry Potter' where he was pretty good I haven't seen anything else with him in it. I feel if he does well it will give me new respect for him but if he ruins one of my new favourite books, SO HELP ME ROBERT! I WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AT COMIC-CON AND GIVE YOU WHAT FOR!!!

That's all for this month's [very late] trailer wrap up! I know what I'm going to see, what about you?

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I've just noticed how giant these trailers are...oh well!

    ReplyDelete