Monday, February 28, 2011

The Eagle

Before I launch into today's review I have two last things to say about the Oscars on Sunday. I was just reminded by Kim that I forgot to announce the winner of the Oscar picks this year! Blasphemy! For the first time since the induction of our annual Oscar pool I didn't win, I'm happy to announce that Kim and I tied it at 15, my mum came in 3rd with 13 and Craig came in 4th with a respectable 8. Secondly, while I was happy with this year's 'In Memoriam' segment, I think the Academy was remiss in not including Corey Haim in their montage. While I will grant that he wasn't their favourite son before he passed, that doesn't mean he should be omitted like that. You would think that with their attempts to appeal to a younger audience they would include an actor that the younger generation would actually recognise. And that's all I have to say about that.

Moving on to today's movie. I know I said that I was going to see 'Incendies' this afternoon, but with all of the awards type movies I've seen lately my brain needed a bit of a rest, hence the Channing Tatum vehicle, 'The Eagle'. I think it needs to be said before I get any further into this that while I do love art-house and critically acclaimed movies, I also equally love those movies that get no acclaim whatsoever, those cheesy comedies, ridiculous romantic comedies, and super-hero movies?! love 'em! I am not that pretentious guy that was in far too many of my classes in university, who only watches those movies that only 8 other people have seen and turn their noses up at those of us who enjoy the movies they consider 'bourgeois'. This is me rolling my eyes, blech. Anyways, I'm also embarassed to admit that the girl in me loves to see movies that have pretty boys in them, one the reasons I have seen far too many romantic comedies...and was also my driving force for seeing 'The Eagle'; Channing Tatum and Jamie Bell?! Yes please!


Needless to say this movie wasn't anything particularly special. Tatum's Roman centurion, Marcus Aquila, has come to Roman occupied Britain in an attempt to regain his family's honour. It was lost with his father, who had ventured north of Hadrian's wall, or at least the area where the wall is now, and was lost along with his entire legion and their symbol, a golden eagle. Apparently this was a pretty big deal and he's been working towards being the best centurion he can be to live down the shame of his father. Once he Britain he proves that all the work has paid off when he is able to thwart an all out attack on the fort where he's been stationed. He gains the respect of his men, but is badly hurt and is forced to go heal at his uncle's house. I was pleasantly shocked to see Donald Sutherland making an appearance as the uncle. Anyways, now that he's injured Marcus is honourably discharged and with nothing else to do decides to head up north to try and find out what happened to his dad and the eagle. While he was healing at the villa he gained a servant in Esca,[Jamie Bell] a native Briton, when he saves him from being killed in a gladiator fight. He and Esca form a tentative friendship and venture past Hadrian's Wall together. I don't want to get too much into their adventures for the sake of spoiling anyone who may be interested in seeing the movie and also because I'm not feeling terribly inspired to do so.
The movie's trying to be a lot of things at once, a period piece, a road trip story, there are odd dreamlike moments that feel out of place. Also, all the violence that's associated with this time, the battles, the gladiator ring, etc, are also a bit odd. They're extremely toned down, which I find strange, but then again, I'm the type of person that likes their violence stylized and awesome, a la '300' and 'Kill Bill' or realistic a la 'Gladiator' or pretty much any other Ridley Scott flick. However, one thing this movie did do was make me desperately want to wander the Highlands. They look misty and gorgeous in the film and I can imagine it barely does them justice.
I know this is a kind of uninspired review, but I went with what the movie had to give me. However, that being said the boys were certainly looking good in their period dress, although sadly, not enough shirtless time for this girls' taste...If you're looking for something to turn your brain off to for an hour and a half, then watch 'The Eagle' but definitely wait to rent it.
I'll have a February trailer round up out in a couple of days and I'm going to post a poll for you all to help me pick my Matinees for March.

No comments:

Post a Comment