Monday, February 28, 2011

Hollywood's Biggest Night! Part Two: And the Winners Aaaaare!

Well, it's all said and done, and trust me a lot has been said. I've been perusing the blogs this morning, and apparently almost everyone hated the Oscars last night. Honestly, I didn't hate them, the sets were gorgeous, the bits were funny, but unfortunately Franco and Hathaway weren't the outstanding hosts I'd hoped they be. The commercials they did before the telecast made me think they were going to hit it out of the park. I'm a big fan of both of them as actors, but I think they're strengths lie in acting as others on screen. Apparently they were going to for an Odd Couple kind of thing, but it didn't really work. Hathaway was cute, but overly peppy, and I tend to agree that Franco just came across as very relaxed if you know what I mean...However, that being said, I was following his #oscarrealtime meme on twitter and his backstage tweets and videos were 100% more engaging than his on stage stuff. So I'm going with, "I liked it" Also a lot of the 'net is saying they were dull and predictable. I don't know what they were expecting, and granted all the winners were pretty much a lock, except for maybe Tom Hooper winning for Directing. Last year we had the excitement of 'The Hurt Locker' coming from behind and stealing the show from the over-hyped 'Avatar'
My highlights for the night were:
-The opening video, the hosts were funny, and the cameos were great
-Several of the presenting duos were great; Russell Brand and Helen Mirren, Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake and most especially Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. When are they going to host, I'd watch that!
-Sandra Bullock was the 2nd best presenter, she was charming, poised and funny.
-Kirk Douglas was hands down the best presenter, despite the fact that he's had mutiple strokes. Clearly they haven't affected his comic timing, and him hitting on Anne Hathaway was precious
-The video montages of the 'muscials' were hilarious. 'Doesn't he Own a Shirt?'?!? AWESOME!
-Tom Hooper, Aaron Sorkin and David Seidler all had wonderful speeches as did the Live Action Short director Luke Matheny. With first saying 'I should have got a haircut [he's got a BIG 'fro going on] and thanking his mom for doing craft services on the short he was a funny and gracious winner.
-The In Memoriam was well done this year, they stopped the popularity contest applause and instead had Celine Dion sing a heartfelt version of 'Smile'

As for the winners, I'm happy that 'The King's Speech' won the night, and I really don't have much commentary about the other winners, since they were mostly all givens and I discussed them in the last post. Only one other thing really, I've decided I don't care for Melissa Leo. She is a great actress, but she's annoys me in person and I don't like listening to her talk in real life. It's like that for me with several other character actors, namely Sean Penn and Al Pacino.

That's another year of celebrating the movies and I'm really looking forward to the next year of them! Now I'm off to my Matinee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment