Sunday, April 03, 2011

March Trailer Wrap Up

Welcome to the March Trailer Wrap Up! I'm sure you've all been waiting with bated breath to see how long it would take me to get this sucker out! No 16 days late this month!! Last month I had a friend say that she had to go and track down all the trailers that I mentioned but didn't include on the original post! My bad! This time around I'm including even more trailers AND links to all the ones that I don't post here. Now onto this months trailers!

First for February was the 'The Adjustment Bureau'. Unsurprisingly all the trailers attached to this flick were potential blockbusters that are on their way. First there was Transformers 3. Now, I'm not really sure why they've gone ahead and made another Transformers movie, but I'm pretty excited that there's no Megan Fox in this one. I may let myself down and see this one in theatres. There's just something about seeing this type of movie on the big screen, they're so loud and full of explosions that just can't quite be equalled on a home theatre system. Then there's Source Code, when I saw the trailer I hadn't heard of the movie and thought it looked pretty interesting, now I'm thinking it might in fact be the movie I see tomorrow. I'm a Jake Gyllenhaal fan anyways, and a well told sci-fi-ish drama is always good in my books. Then came Fast Five. When the trailer first started, I thought to myself, 'Mmm, this looks interesting.' Then I heard Vin Diesel's voice, and I thought 'Oh no, they didn't, did they?' And then I saw Paul Walker running and I knew, for some, inexplicable reason, yet another addition to the Fast and the Furious franchise was on our hands. And this time Dwayne The Rock Johnson's joined the cast, cue exasperated eye roll from this girl. I haven't seen one since 2 and I won't be seeing this one either. Last but most certainly not least was the trailer for Paul, and I think we all know how I feel about that, see previous post here. It sure made up for having to watch the 'Fast Five' trailer.

Next up was 'Rango'. And I have to admit I was super psyched for the trailers for this one, kids movies are so much fun! However the first trailer was for Born to Be Wild and it doesn't look so much like fun, but educational and heart warming and not something I generally see in threatres. BUT it does have the wonderful voice of Morgan Freeman to make my ears happy.
Then there was the Zookeeper. Kevin James in what appears to be a Doctor Dolittle/Night at the Museum crossover. Pass. I was getting a little concerned that I wasn't going to like any of the trailers I saw but I was finally saved when the preview for 'Rio' started. This looks like another well done flick from the folks who made 'Ice Age', they've replace the ice and snow with the beaches and bright colours of Rio... and a macaw voiced by 'The Social Network's Jesse Eisenberg. I'm totally there.
Then from our friends who have now made four, count 'em four, 'Shrek' movies and still can't seem to give up the franchise comes Puss in Boots. Thank goodness, I don't think I could take a Donkey movie. Antonio Banderas is great as this character, but I'm just not sure if it needs it's own movie. I'll reserve judgment until I start to hear the reviews, but the trailer's pretty cute.
My final animated trailer comes from a movie I already know I'm going to see, Kung Fu Panda. I wasn't sure about the first one, since Jack Black's so hit and miss, and it ended up being hilarious, and this one looks like it won't disappoint!

When I finally saw 'Paul' after waiting so long to see I was actually pretty curious to see what previews would be attached to it. They certainly did not disappoint, I'm looking forward to seeing all four of them later this year. I think I mentioned in the February trailer post that I'm really looking forward to X-Men: First Class, even though Marvel has a way of letting me down with characters that I love. Also James MacAvoy is awesome, and I hadn't seen 'Jane Eyre' yet, but Michael Fassbender who played Rochester stars opposite MacAvoy's Charles Xavier as Erik Lehnsherr, the man who would be Magneto, which makes me even more excited! Next up was 'Arthur'. I know that Russell Brand is a little odd, and not everyone 'gets' him, but I personally think he's a comic genius. He stole every scene he was in in 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' and now he gets to carry a movie on his in this one, sharing the screen with the always wonderful Helen Mirren. I know it's a remake of the Dudley Moore version, a version I haven't seen, but I don't know if I'll even bother, I don't know if I'll want the running comparison going on in my head while I watch the new one.
Then I got to see another trailer for Bridesmaids. As previously stated, I'm all over this one. Judd Apatow, Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph. Yes, yes and yes. The final trailer before I finally got to see 'Paul' was for 'Your Highness'. I'm aware that it looks silly, and is trying to appeal to the men 18-35 demographic, however, I think it looks funny and I'm looking forward to see if Natalie Portman can pull off an outright comedy to follow up her Oscar win, and if James Franco can redeem himself for his not-so-hot Oscar hosting.

I was actually surprised by the trailers I saw when I went to see 'The Butcher the Chef and the Swordsman'. I figured seeing as it was a foreign movie there would be foreign trailers attached to it. Not so much, I had to sit through another reminder that 'Fast Five' is actually coming to theatres, blech. I got to see the 'Bridesmaids' and 'Kung Fu Panda 2' trailers again and then there was finally a trailer for Snowflower and the Secret Fan, it looks like beautiful cross-generational film about friendship. When I look back at the previews here I have to think that the theatre didn't know what type of person would be watching 'The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman,' so they attached one trailer for each general demographic, including kids...which is weird, 'cause this wasn't a kid movie at all.

My final movie for March was 'Jane Eyre'. And I finally saw some trailers that I hadn't seen yet. First was the new Brad Pitt/Sean Penn movie 'The Tree of Life'. Visually, it looks really amazing, but I honestly have no idea what the movie's about after watching the trailer. Watch it, let me know if you figure it out. But I guess it does make me curious to see the movie, so I guess the trailer worked.
Then I got to see a preview for the Golden Globe and Academy Award winner for Best Foreign Language Film, 'In a Better World'. This Danish film looks like it's right up my alley and I'll have to keep and eye out to see if it actually comes to town.
Next up was 'The Conspirator'. It follows the trial of the only woman co-conspirator in the Lincoln assination, starring James MacAvoy [someone's having a busy summer!] and Robin Wright. It looks pretty darn good, even though I'm generally a fan of American flag waving flicks. It's going on my ever growing list of movies to see this year.
My final March trailer was Miral. It's also politically charged, but this time it's the Middle East, not post Civil War America. However, it looks like it will be quite good, and I think it's received some positive attention at the festivals it's been screened at this year. Another for me too see? Probably. With all the good movies coming out this year, I don't know how I'm going to have the time or the money to see them all, let alone the energy to write a blog post about all of them! I think some time management might be in future!
Until tomorrow [or more likely, Tuesday] have a good one and watch some trailers!

No comments:

Post a Comment