Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sprite Suicide, or Why I Hate Commercials

For the first time since I started my blog in January I missed my matinee, but that doesn't mean I lack things to say. Far from it actually, I've been wanting to do a post about this particular blight to cinema for a while but just haven't gotten around to it.
Last week when I went to see 'Hanna' [which was great] I had to sit through eleven, that's right ELEVEN! commercials before I got to see the movie. Now I understand that we're still in a time of economic recovery and all that, but do theatres really need that much corporate sponsorship? Movies aren't cheap to make or distribute, I really do get that, but why does that mean I have to be forced to sit through multiple car, pop and bank commercials before I even get to see the trailers?! I can understand maybe three or four commercials, that's normally about how many trailers there are before movies, so sure, let's make it equal. Having to endure a minimum of 10 minutes of commercials before I get to see my movie does not only make me not want to be a patron of these products but also makes me want to search out a commercial-free theatre, if such a thing exists, or even do something I can barely contemplate, arrive late to a movie on purpose, I hate those people even more...but I digress, that's a blog for another day.
Moving on from the quantity of commercials, I want to focus on one alone. The worst one. The one I hate most of all. Let me paint you a picture. It's a scorching hot day, and two groups of sweaty guys are standing around and playing hoops across a parched playground. Two of these guys look at each other and then suddenly take a run at each other. As they come together they jump in to the air, collide...and burst into water? Apparently this looks like fun and couple more guys run in to each other. All their friends bask in their water, feeling refreshed. WHAT THE HELL!? Am I the only one who doesn't see the connection between these guys essentially committing suicide and refreshment? 'Yay! My thirst is quenched! Hey Johnny, aren't you feeling re- Oh. Right.' Blech, this thing infuriates me. I sure hope Sprite rethinks it's advertising campaign, not that I would switch from Ginger Ale to them for my non-cola beverages anyway, but still.
That's all for now, see you next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment