Sunday, October 30, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Yes. I know, I'm way behind on my updates. Again. While I try to think of things to write about the movies I've seen in the theatres, let me tell you about a movie out on DVD I think you should watch, 'Captain America: The First Avenger'. And I hear you Canadians, rolling you eyes at me Captain America Andrea? Isn't that just a 124minute propaganda poster? And you might think that, but the fact of the matter is that it you have to remember that Cap's America doesn't exist anymore. This was a country that  had to be dragged into WWII, hard to imagine right? Not only that but their enemies were the Germans and Japanese, countries who are better known for making cars than their militaries these days. What I'm really getting at is that, while even I was initially concerned that it would be a bunch of flag waving, it really isn't, it comes back down to a good ol' good vs evil archetype; where the good is an skinny, idealistic kid from Brooklyn who just happens to be injected with the Super Soldier Serum that makes him practically invulnerable and the evil is a crazy, mutated Nazi who wants to take over the world. Fun, right?
Interesting fact about this movie, Chris Evan turned down the role of Steve Rogers THREE times before agreeing to take it on. Which is pretty amazing, considering how wonderfully he embodies the character. However, it's a pretty big commitment, 6 flicks [down from the 9 Marvel initially wanted] and the pressure to carry the film, as well as the new Avengers franchise on his back. I was a little worried too, while I'm a big Chris Evans fan, it was more his humour that I loved, and I wasn't sure he could be the 'All-American' boy that Cap needs to be. There was no need to be concerned, Evans turns out one the most empathetic and idealistic performances I've seen in a while. Whether it's when he's digitally made into scrawny Steve or after he becomes Captain America he comes off as sincere in his desire to do the right thing, no matter the cost to his own person.
Do you know who Hugo Weaving is? You may say no, but I bet you're wrong, this guy has been in more blockbuster sci-fi/fantasy films in the past decade than most, 'The Matrix' trilogy, 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy, 'V for Vendetta', he was the voice of Megatron in the 'The Transformers' movies, you get my point. Anyways, he's back again as the Red Skull, the creepy head of Hydra, Hitler's super secret science division. And he's awesome at it. I'm sure playing a villain, as an actor, must be super fun, but he really pulls off the psychotic, world conquerer thing in a way I'm not sure another actor would be able to.
There are a plethora of great supporting performances in this film as well. Stanley Tucci and Tommy Lee Jones are great as Dr. Erskine and Col. Phillips respectively. Dominic Cooper plays Howard Stark, yes that would be Tony 'Iron Man' Stark's father, and I can almost believe that the two are related. Last but not least in the supporting cast is the lovely Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Cap's main squeeze.
ALRIGHT! For not really knowing what to say, I have certainly rambled on, as per usual. Needless to say, I think if you should go out and watch 'Captain America: First Avenger', especially, if, like me, you'll be waiting to see the Joss Whedon [EEE!!!] directed 'The Avengers' next summer! See you next time....hopefully sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment