Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Hangover Part 2

You may may or may not have heard, but the little comedy that could has a sequel. Seriously, remember when The Hangover came out in the summer of 2009? It was a 'surprise hit', which I personally found surprising; when you put Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifiankis in a comedy in Vegas it's bound to be hilarious. The premise was unique, the dialogue was ridiculous [I'm talking about Zach in particular] and it was just an all around fun flick. I remember sitting in the theatre just laughing and laughing with my friends. Now, I'm going to admit, while I did see The Hangover Part II with my friends again, and I did laugh, it wasn't quite as hard as the first time round. Director Todd Phillips took his first movie and placed it in Bangkok. Literally. While I'm not really as opposed to that as some other reviewers I've read seem to be, it is a little bit of bummer. Nonetheless! I still did enjoy this flick!
Let's start with Ed Helms, you know how I love him. [remember my Cedar Rapids review?] He has this really great innate ability to be completely lovable and hilarious at the same time. In The Hangover II his character, Stu, is getting married. Although not to Heather Graham's stripper from the first movie, which, to be honest, kinda makes me sad. I really hoped those two crazy kids could work it out. Since his fiancee's family is from Thailand that's where they're getting married. However, understandably, after the events in Vegas he's pretty reluctant to have a bachelor party. This brings us to the opening hilarity, of Stu trying to convince his friends that brunch at IHOP is the bachelor party. Needless to say Phil [the always sexy Bradley Cooper] and Doug [the pretty dang adorable Justin Bartha] aren't overly impressed. However, once in Thailand and after a particularly mean-spirited speech from the father of the bride, he's convinced to have a nice safe little bachelor bonfire on the beach. Can you see where this is going? Yeah, I thought you might. Despite the predictability, it still leads to a pretty fantastic adventure through Bangkok. The morning after scene, when they wake up in one hell of a disgusting hotel room, is awesome. 
How did this all happen, AGAIN? Alan, [the completely ridiculous Zach Galifianakis] of course, AGAIN! The weirdo is still fixated on his 'awesome' weekend with the Wolfpack. And after finagling an invite to the wedding, he's desperate for the good times to keep on a rollin'. However, crazy ol' Alan, seems to feel that the group's being infiltrated by Stu's new brother-in-law, Teddy, 'cause he's crazy. Teddy is the apple of his father's eye, and despite the father not being even a little bit fond of Stu, Teddy's a good kid who gets along well with Stu, a little too well for Alan the crazy man. This prompts Alan to spike some marshmallows [yes, you read that correctly] with something he gets from Mr. Chow [Ken Jeong] to take Teddy out of the picture for a little while. As you can imagine that goes horribly awry. And by horribly awry, I mean face tattoos, severed fingers, gun smugglers, tranvestites, riots, kidnapped monks and of course, a chain smoking, drug dealing monkey. 
Needless to say The insanity that happens in Bangkok is much more dangerous and dirty than what happened in Vegas. But it still follows the same line, this time Teddy, not Doug, is missing, and after first checking the roof, the Wolfpack sets out in search of their missing friend.
As I mentioned, Mr. Chow is back, and, unfortunately, so is his penis. I've seen way more of Ken Jeong than I care for . Don't get me wrong, he is hilarious, but I just don't think I need to see him naked again. Although, if you're a fan of his [who isn't!] and you're not watching Community, then get on that, he's WAY funnier on it AND he keeps his clothes on!
Despite rumours of various cameos, from Bill Clinton to Mel Gibson, the ones we get are from Oscar nominee Paul Giamatti and, of course, Mike Tyson.
It's no Bridesmaids [which is obviously this summer's The Hangover] The Hangover Part II is still a good time and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first one.
Sorry it took so long for this post get written! More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment